Sunday, January 31, 2016

Remembrance Of My Parents

Where does the time go?  I am now heading to my own 30th Wedding Anniversary.  Hard to believe as it feels like just yesterday most times. This year would mark 68 years for my dear parents. I'm sharing these photographs in loving remembrance. . . .

Mr. & Mrs. James Pantley request the honor of your presence at the marriage
of their daughter Gloria Vita to William F. Sheard Jr. Saturday the thirty-first
day of January Nineteen Hundred Forty Eight at two o'clock St. Rita's Church

Heading into the church as the day unexpectedly grayed and snow began to fall

These photographs are "It's A Wonderful Life" era of the 1940's. As a youngster, at times I would spend some hours going through these wonderful wedding albums, getting lost in them. I thought they were the neatest things. 

We have 6 or 7 of them. All the weddings of our aunts, uncles and cousins. Typical large Italian family. Seems there was a wedding almost every year from the late 40's on through the mid 1950's. Each married in St. Rita's Catholic Church,  starting with our grandparents generation in the 1920's. Receptions held at the Tacoma Lawn and Tennis Club. And all photographed by Richard's Photography Studio in Tacoma. They are really well done albums. I am grateful to have them.

Mom would always say "I was the first", LOL. She seemed pretty proud of that. First one married, 20 yrs. old, pop 23, and first grandchild, Larry, came along 10 months later.


I haven't been in St. Rita's in quite a few years now. It is my favorite
Catholic Church in Tacoma, The statuary inside is just stunning. 
And 
of course that this was the family's church of worship and mass.















Father & Daughter

These velvet gowns were maroon for maid of honor and emerald 
green for the rest of her court. Gorgeous for January wedding.











For Tacoman's, you may remember Ray's Market On Steilacoom Blvd.
This young man is Ray Fiorino, my mom's cousin. He opened, owned and 

operated that market for many many years. He was the neatest guy.

My Grandparents

Aunts, Uncles & Grandparents (mom's side)

Aunt's, Uncles & Grandparents (pop's side)

Mom and her uncle Anthony (Tony). She adored him. And she was his
favorite niece. He treated mom & pop to an all expense paid
week in Vancouver BC for their honeymoon.